Well, I am pleased to say that we have now released the new version of kcite. It’s been a while in coming — I had the difficult bit of the code working about 5 months ago, but then got caught up in teaching. Kcite is our bibliography manager which enables citations such as this one [cite]10.1371/journal.pone.0012258[/cite], using DOI or PubMed IDs.
It has been a long, long time since my last gig review. As this blog is mostly professional now, this is perhaps not such a bad thing. I did half write a review of Roy Harper and Joanna Newsome in Sept last year, but it never got posted. Don’t think I have been to gig since then. Still onwards.
While I am currently spending a significant amount of my time promoting the idea that blog technology can be, and should be used for serious scientific material, I thought I would make a post of a different and perhaps more traditional vein: that is, a light-weight idea, with no serious research behind it, but Years ago now, I created an Energy Wiki full of daft ideas for making energy. I last revisted this in 2009, with an idea for storing energy at sea. I’d actually forgotten that part of the reason for this was to try out Inkscape, which is part of the reason for this post. I wanted to try a bit of multi-media, that is, a blog post with an image in it. High tech.
I have been pushing the idea of Kblogs — scientific publishing using commodity software — for a year or so know. Our main site, Knowledgeblog.org has got around 100 articles now, and has had about 50k page views (or about 4x the number of raw page hits) and has generated a certain presence on the internet. While this is generally good, the price of fame is that we have moved somewhat up the list of potential hack targets. Unfortunately, this has resulted in two compromises on the machine; they were probably not disconnected, although we have no evidence to link the two at the moment.